Tuesday, March 13, 2007

13 years

My entire life has revolved around the encompassing institution that is Punahou School. Both of my parents attended Punahou in the 1970's, and from the moment I left the hospital, t-shirts adorned with hala shirts dominated my wardrobe. At the age of two I entered a preschool renowned for its ability to place its students within Punahou's morning glory decorated walls. The world of buff and blue lay before my feet, and with one simple letter of admission I quickly took the step required to stand atop it. This is the position I have been stuck in ever since. Every moment of relief and escape I received evaporated in the short weeks of childhood summers and vacations, and every mini step I took away from my home was quickly rescinded by a nervous jump backward. Although I know this year will finally become the year of my escape, I still can't believe that the angle my life has followed thus far is so close to ending. I can't truly imagine existence away from a Snack Bar filled with chili and rise, posadas, and pizza sticks. I know I won't believe it until all of my belongings have been packed, and the city of Honolulu begins to dissappear outside the cloudy viewpoint of the left window.

1 comment:

zachary browning said...

I really liked your last sentence. Great writing.