Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Medicine Camp

Hawaii is a world unto itself, a diverse society that changes its inhabitants and teaches them to view one another without regard for race or economic distinction. My unique upbringing was never so apparent to me as it was when I attended the National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine, a program that exposes youth to the medical profession through guest speakers and hospital visits. The Forum mainly consisted of upper middle class teenagers who largely ignored the few under privileged students. It upset me when my study group would not listen to Kristille, a girl from the south side of Chicago, simply because they failed to understand or accept her. Every day I could feel Kristille's frustration mount as her thoughts failed to reach the ears of our group members, who barely even looked her in the eyes when she spoke. I wanted Kristille to be heard so I referred back to her during heated discussions, encouraged her to speak her mind, and later reiterated her ideas so the group could realize the validity of her statements. Kristille appreciated my efforts, and I became the only outsider to socialize with the students from the south side of Chicago. This experience not only confirmed my dream to become a doctor, but also allowed me to realize how fortunate I am to have grown up in a culturally rich environment.

No comments: